We built a brand new house this past year and we couldn’t be happier. There were a few tricks that I used in decorating our new house that made a huge difference. Within a week, this house felt like home. The little tweaks I made had a BIG impact. All of our pictures and decorations were in storage for an entire year so it felt like a breath of fresh air to see it all again. Does anyone else get that excited by pulling all your stuff out of boxes? Anyone? Maybe I’m a hoarder…. Anyways! Here are 6 things that I did right away to make our brand new house feel like home. Hope you enjoy!
Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will make a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
- Using vintage pieces- this can be anything. Really nice vintage furniture or hand me downs from your parents. I have both in my house and I get compliments all the time for pieces that I spent $0 on. Look at pieces with new eyes. Its so easy to throw some paint on furniture and it looks completely different. Also, garage sales can be gold mines.
- Adding warmth with gold- I have a entirely white-walled house and I love it! But… you have to do a lot of stuff to make it not look like an institution. The way I do this is adding gold accents. It brings a warmth to the house that makes it feel more home-y.
- Color- If everything is new, add some color! I don’t know what it is about color, but it makes the home feel more lived-in. Personally, I didn’t add colors to the walls with paint, I added it with decor and wall art.
- Pictures of your family- My house is covered in pictures of my adorable kiddos. Anyone who comes in the house is drawn to the pictures. It is an amazing conversation stater, telling everyone the story behind each picture. That automatically makes the home feel full of love; which makes everyone in it feel welcome.
- Mix of Frames- I love the look of a gallery wall with all matching frames and they’re all the exact same size. But what happens when you want to put up a new picture? Which one gets the cut? I can’t have that stress in my life so I just added all our frames that we love. They don’t match perfectly, but thankfully that’s the look I’m going for.
- Leave the clutter behind closed doors- From the first day we moved in, we didn’t leave boxes all around the house. We left everything in the garage and brought it in when it had a place to go. That way you can invite people over as soon as you move in! We had our house warming party two and a half weeks after moving in. Which I don’t think I would recommend, but it worked for us.